Bruce V. Smith (1907-1981) and his wife, Ethel R. Glatfelter Smith (1907-1994), founded this business in 1932 when they bought a gas station and general store in Jacobus from Bruce’s grandfather, George Smith. Bruce soon began expanding into many other types of retail sales. He bought up adjoining properties, and started other businesses including automobile sales, roadside cabin rentals, LP gas (propane) sales, a diner, a grocery store, and a department store including furniture and appliances. As these businesses prospered over the years, Bruce promoted his retail complex as a place to do “one-stop shopping.”
In addition to the main businesses, at various times the complex also included a barber shop, the town’s post office, a ladies dress shop, and an Exxon service station. A customer could truly buy just about anything with one stop in the little town of Jacobus. And people from all over York County and northern Maryland became regular customers at “Bruce’s,” as it was known locally.
In February 1958, a disastrous fire destroyed the department store and office building. By August of 1958, the new department store was completed and in operation. Bruce came up with the name "Smith Village” to denote the entire group of businesses and to promote the idea of a one-stop shopping center. By 1967 Bruce and Ethel had retired and relinquished control to their two oldest sons, Dale and Donald, who had years of experience working under their father. In time, the other three children, Anna Mae, Susan and Dallas, who had also worked in some aspect of the business most of their lives, took on various management positions, keeping it a truly family business.
A major change occurred in 1977 when the family decided to change the store’s format to all furniture and appliances. The housewares, toy, clothing, jewelry, and sporting goods departments were closed and the furniture area was expanded.
The main store received a complete renovation in 1984. At the same time, the hardware department was eliminated, and replaced with a new furniture Clearance Center & Outlet. (This store is now located across the street in the former auto sales building and is known as our Furniture Outlet.) Across the street from the main store, the outdated grocery store was torn down in 1985 and replaced with a strip of retail shops called Olde Village Square East. The tenants there now include two restaurants, several small shops, the Village Library plus a large Rutter's Farm Store. In the fall of 1987, a second Smith Village store was opened in the northern part of York County at the Valley Green Mall (in Etters, PA). It closed three years later due to disappointing sales. At the end of 1998, the appliance and electronics departments were eliminated and the furniture and mattress departments expanded to provide our customers with the best furniture selection in this area. This included the addition of a La-Z-Boy Gallery.
A makeover of the main store was completed in 1999. A café area was added to give our customers a place to relax and have a complimentary cup of coffee, cold drink and snack while visiting the store. The Customer Care Office, the Village Café and the kids’ play area were moved to the first floor a few years later so that they were more accessible and convenient for customers.
The Smith Village group of businesses continues to prosper as a family owned, reputable and customer friendly place that you can trust to help you with all of your home furnishings needs.
10 Reasons to Come to the Village:
- York’s Only La-Z-Boy Comfort Studio. An incredible selection of reclining and occasional chairs, sofas and love seats, sleep sofas, reclining sofas, sectionals, and sectionals.
- Guaranteed Lowest Prices. At Smith Village, you can buy with confidence! We guarantee that your purchase will be at the lowest possible price. However, if you find the same item in stock at a local competitor at a lower price (with the same service) within 30 days of purchase, we will gladly refund the difference. Verification required.
- Complimentary In-Home Design Consultation & Room Planning. Looking for ideas? Wondering how to blend colors and patterns? Meet with one of our friendly design consultants...in your home or at our store. They can help you create a stylish, comfortable room that’s right for you. And, their advice is free!
- “Buy It Your Way” - Choose low monthly payments, layaway or a discount for cash (on purchases over $600). Plus, we accept all major credit cards. The choice is yours!
- Big Selection. Living rooms, dining rooms, family rooms, master bedrooms, youth bedrooms, home office, and mattresses...from brand name manufacturers like La-Z-Boy, England and Serta.
- Delivery Within 7 Days or Immediate Pick-Up of In-Stock Furniture.
- Rapid Delivery on In-Stock Mattresses & Recliners. When you need your mattress or recliner right away...we offer SAME DAY delivery (if purchased by 1:00 pm Monday through Friday), NEXT DAY, or ANY DAY delivery (except Sunday and holidays).
- Five Star Delivery Service. We want your delivery from Smith Village to be the best you have ever experienced. In fact, we GUARANTEE your complete SATISFACTION with our delivery service or we will refund the delivery charge.. We deliver within a 35-mile radius of York, PA.
- One-Year Full Furniture Warranty. We back up our furniture with more than just words. With every furniture purchase, you receive a warranty against manufacturing defects for one year. If you experience a manufacturing defect within one year that we are unable to repair, we will replace the item or give you a full refund. (Items in our Furniture Outlet are sold AS-IS without any warranty).
- Comfort Guarantee on any Mattress Purchase. If you purchase a mattress and mattress protector that we recommend, we guarantee that you will sleep better and feel better within 60 days or you may select from us another sleep set of equal or greater value.